Resumption Law and Compulsory Acquisitions
We are recognised as one of Sydney’s leading ‘applicant’ resumption law teams, having represented numerous business owners and landowners in negotiations with various acquiring authorities over 16 years, including Roads & Maritime Services, Transport for NSW, Ports Authority of NSW, Sydney Water Authority, and numerous local council authorities across NSW. The team at Project Lawyers has acted for licensed hotels, medical centres, restaurants, landscaping businesses, car dealerships, trucking companies, retail outlets, commercial premises, industrial warehouses, residential and rural land owners, and multi-lot strata schemes, etc. We advise clients on the processes and procedures associated with the compulsory acquisition of land and business interests, easements, rights of way and related interests. We provide advice on:
- compensation entitlements under the NSW Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991.
- market value and disturbance claims permitted under the Act and other heads of compensation as applicable (special value, severance, solatium).
- valuation considerations relating to specific business interests affected by the acquisition process, including advice on business relocation and re-establishment verse extinguishment.
- negotiations with acquiring authorities.
- the making of ‘hardship applications’ under the Act and the threshold requirements to be addressed.
- dispute resolution (see also Land and Environment Court Applications and Appeals).